We are working to the following specifications:
- low friction drive
- directional and interior lighting
- DCC socket (the unit will be available either as DC or DCC sound-fitted, DCC users who do not want sound can fit their preferred decoder)
- DCC sound factory fitted in both power cars will be available for an additional £95 per set with sounds from Legomanbiffo – there will be two DCC decoders with two speakers (one in each driving car)
- internal close coupling
- smoked but separate glazing
- different number sets available for multiple purchases
- removable front panel for prototypical “drags” over non-electrified lines
We investigated a tilt mechanism, however we decided that it was inappropriate as the Pendolino only tilts when activated by lineside sensors.
9 and 11 car units
The Pendolinos are currently a mixture of 9-car class 390/0s and 11-car class 390/1s. A full length 9-car set is 217.4m which scales down to 1.47m and an 11-car unit is 265m which scales to 1.79m – these are scale lengths.
From the first complete sample we have measured the set lengths as follows:
9-car set 1475mm
11-car set 1810mm
5-car “short” sets
We recognise that not everyone will have the space (or finance) to go for a full 9- or 11-car set (the 5-car set is 830mm).
2-car add-on set
2 extra coaches were used to strengthen the 9-car sets to 11-cars – these were dragged around the network behind a variety of Colas locos (47, 56, 66 and 86) and could prove an interesting short train for many modellers.